Marked out of 100 – 30%
The works of Len Lye, Maya Deren, Bill Morrison, Tacita Dean, and Joan Jonas demonstrate experimental approaches to media and materials. Choose one of these artists (listed above) and analyse how he/she allows the specific characteristics of different media to influence their approaches to creating screen works.
Select an artist or a screen work that interests you. Research into the practice of the artist, his/ her methods or techniques used to create works, and the ideas and concepts he/ she explores. Choose one to three works to analyse. Begin by describing the work(s). Analyse these work(s) in depth by considering the following questions:
- What are the media and materials used in the work(s)?
- How does he/she use different media in his/her works?
- What are the specific characteristics of the different media used?
- How does he/she explore and experiment with a specific medium and its materiality?
- How does this experimentation relate to the concepts explored in his/her practice?
- What kinds of dialogues exist between the different media and materials used in the screen works.?
Specific lectures will discuss the works of these artists in the context of broader historical and contemporary screen practice.
It is important that you present an argument that is framed by your research and guided by your interpretation of the artist and his/her works. Do not simply list research materials such as biographic and works details. The word limit of this essay is 1000 – 1500 words and you should include relevant illustrations.
You are expected to provide appropriate academic referencing in the essay for all the materials you use. You should also include a bibliography with your submitted essay. You can refer to the referencing resources at UOW Library (http://uow.libguides.com/refcite).
Week 8 Wednesday 26th April 2016 23.59 EST
Written Essay (1000 – 1500 words)
- Depth and breadth of research including references to both published literary sources and creative works
- Critical analysis of the work(s) discussed
- Soundness of argument used in the analysis
- Clarity and succinctness of writing
Electronic submission via Moodle
This assessment task has been set up to be checked by Turnitin, a tool for checking if it has unreferenced content. You can submit your assessment task to Turnitin prior to the due date and Turnitin will give you an originality report. You can then make any changes that may be required and re-submit your final version by the due date.
Subject Learning Outcome Addressed
This assessment task addresses Subject Learning Outcome:
1. Articulate a developing critical understanding of the history and contemporary practice of experimental screen based Media Arts.