Marked out of 100 – 25 %
The ability to critically reflect on your own creative or making process is vital to your development as a practitioner (in whatever field you choose to work in). An important part of any practice is not only to know how to make, but to know why decisions are made and based on what criteria.
The objective of this assignment is to help you develop the skills to meaningfully reflect and critically articulate the contextual, conceptual and aesthetic underpinnings of your creative practice. This may include research, documentation of trials, decision-making processes, and material experimentations. This means connect your thinking and doing, your research and your experiments in through the iterative process of making.
Throughout the session, you will be posting regularly to your personal blog on the progress of your learning throughout MEDA302 with a minimum of one post per week (250 – 500 words with embedded media documentation or illustrations). This blog will function in part as a weekly process journal that documents your research, thinking, and development of your Media Art Project.
The objective of this assignment is to help you develop the skills to meaningfully reflect and critically articulate the contextual, conceptual and aesthetic underpinnings of your creative practice. This may include responses to reading (annotations). research, documentation of trials, decision-making processes, and material experimentations.
In addition to responses to weekly lecture and workshop contents, minimum entries will be structured as follows:
- Week 1 MEDA301 Media Arts Project analysis. Bring the Noise – establish a research bibliography and plan a series of experimental beginnings.
- Week 2 – 12
- 1 ) Demonstrate/Document experimental and research progress – every two weeks we should see video documentation of experiments, photographic documentation of process, theoretical/conceptual enquiry, critical/contextual engagement.
- 2) Be generous – each week write about someone else’s project/process – do some research for them (beyond google – use the person one below you on the directory – if you last use the first etc.) Move one person down the list each week.
- Week 13 Work-in-progress review presentation.
- Exam week 2 (submission date) 500 word summary and critical reflection on media art project
The 500-word reflective summary is to be presented at the same time as the Media Arts project in exam week 2. Students need to ensure that the web link is functional and all entries are up-to-date on the due date.
Exam week 2 TBC
Regularly updated blog entries with relevant embedded media content
- Depth, breadth, quality and application of research materials incorporated throughout
- Depth and quality of critical analyses of work processes, experiments, and work-in-progress
- Cogency and clarity of writing to the reader
- Critical reflection of own work: sensitivity to work processes, materials and responses that contribute to the completion of the final work
All online content must be uploaded and completed by the due date. Links to individual student blogs must be accessible and provided on the subject blog.
Must Attempt: Yes
This means that if you do not submit a work, a Technical Fail will be automatically generated for your grade in this subject.