Writing project statements; project progress, discussion, and review.
Remember: Assignment is due next week (Week 4)
Make sure that:
- You have a blog up and running (if in doubt use wordpress.com)
- You know how to submit a sound to Sound Cloud,
- Your file is public and downloadable from sound cloud.
- You write a project statement on your blog post AND your soundcloud file is embedded in your blog post. HINT: if you are using wordpress, you only need to copy and paste your soundcloud URL into your blog post, and WordPress will automagically turn that URL into an embedded soundcloud player.
- You submit your blog post link as a comment to the correct medadada.net blog post.
- Depth and breadth of research and investigation
- provide evidence in project statement / referenced works
- Conceptual exploration of topic
- ability to come up with abstract ideas
- ability to create a temporal structure that resonates with the concept
- Effective use of the audio medium
- using the opportunities of sound (layering, dynamics, audio editing techniques, etc.)
- Project execution
- How well finished is it? Does it sound fantastic?
Writing project statements
Try to ‘frame’ your work without translating (‘reducing’) its content to words.
- What are your aims?
- What concepts/ideas are you trying to develop/ convey in your project?
- What do you hope to achieve with the piece?
- How have you gone about achieving this?
- With what kinds of thoughts and feelings do you expect your audience to respond?
Please avoid creating a written summary of the sounds used. Avoid reducing your work to a simple message. Rather, think about the realm of meaning that it points to.
Critique/ listening to students’ audio edits
- Vocabulary of critique (listen to 2 − 3 edits), (practise) discuss these qualities:
- PITCH High Low
- DYNAMICS Loud Soft
- DURATION Long Short
- TEMPO Fast Slow
- TEXTURE Thick Thin
- Static Moving
- Regular Irregular
- Gradual Sudden Change
- How are UNITY and CONTRAST achieved?
- quality of recording
- the concepts explored/ conveyed
- the relationship between concept and quality of recording
- In small groups of 3 – 4
- Listen to each other works
- Listeners write down what kind of concepts the audio edit suggest
- Makers concepts, methods, perceived problems
- Discuss/ exchange receptions and thoughts about the edits
- Collect any technical problems to present to class
- Known issues in Audacity, trouble-shooting
- Introducing Sound Cloud
- Test run
- Submission instructions:
- upload to Sound Cloud
- create new post on subject’s site
- provide links in post (plus project statement)
- Test that the file and the link work!!!